Since it’s fall, we can’t help but find ourselves musing over the different variety of root veggies coming into season. It’s a romantic time, full of sweet apples and pears, all wrapped up inside fragrant spices and stormy weather. It is certainly time for thinking of making that someone special in your life a fantastic soup! Even if it’s just you and your kids, please bring them into the kitchen and make this soup. It’s “souper” easy, souper fun to make and souper good.
2 pounds or 4 large Sweet Potatoes, cut up (2 x 2 inch pieces) – leave the skins on!
3 cups water
1 large carrot OR 2 medium sized carrots, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
1 cup organic coconut milk OR 1 young baby coconut meat
5 cloves garlic, large or medium
1.5 tsp curry powder
1.5 tsp tumeric
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp crushed cloves
1/2 sweet onion, chopped
1/4 cup coconut sugar
Sea salt and Pepper to taste
Parsley or Cilantro, diced
Olive oil, for drizzling
Toasted sunflower seeds
Chopped green onions (optional)
Note: Add water to make to desired thickness.
- Put purified water into a stock pot. Add chopped carrots, sweet potatoes, garlic and onion.
- Add all spices, including sea salt and pepper.
- Cook for 20 minutes on medium heat.
- 5 minutes before it’s done cooking, add the coconut milk and coconut sugar.
- Transfer to a blender, or use an immersion blender and blend thoroughly.
- Garnish with a bit of olive oil
- Add chopped Parsley leaves or Cilantro Leaves with toasted sunflower seeds over the top.
- Optional: Top with chopped green onions
Notes: This soup is very simple to make and is a wonderful addition to a whole meal salad, or you can add some cooked brown rice over the top, or over your salad to finish this meal. This is a spicy and sweet, thick and nourishing soup anybody will love!
In Living Health,
Jay and Linda Kordich